Re: [tor-relays] Blutmagie retired

Wed Nov 14 14:55:52 UTC 2018 Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de wrote:

>Am 14.11.2018 um 15:20 schrieb Zack Weinberg:
>> Ad services are far too often used to distribute malware.

The worst of this is past, mostly solved.  Folks who come up
with these target high volume sites to pay for the huge
investment in time to develop exploits and game past ad-service
defenses.  Survival rate a few of days in the wild.  Salad
days for the bad guys are gone.

>>Some kind of community-funding jar would be much safer.
>> (Patreon, ko.fi, etc).

no doubt, but it's fair and reasonable for site operators
to generate some ad revenue; multirbl.valli.org did it for ages
though he seems to have stopped, perhaps for the reason
mentioned below

>https://torstatus.blutmagie.de is resurrected :-) Today I spend the
>amount of 17 USD for a new ssl certificate. Next step is to negotiate
>more ram with my Russian provider. 2 GB working set became too small for
>the mysql db and about 30-50 concurrent Apache processes.

Fabulous, thank you!

(perhaps Nginx could swap in place of Apache and use less memory)

>regarding ads:
>
>I would have to pay income tax for revenues generated with ad services.
>No kidding! German tax offices are Legion. They do not forgive. They do
>not forget.

A practical concern, interesting they chase small web sites
though I suppose the tax offices have it automated.  Does a
threshold minimum for filing exist?  Perhaps a test to see if
worth the trouble to fill out forms and write checks.  I'd
guess ad services generate helpful reports for that.

>By the way, what is wrong with https://torstatus.rueckgr.at? Basically
>this site provides the same information as blutmagie.

Blutmagie is more polished in the details, has kept up with
Tor changes.  I like especially that bandwidth numbers are
actual utilization rather than observed maximum.  Individual
relay page graphs work.  Only issue is page rendering a bit
slow, probably due to dynamic calculation of row height.
Not a web dev but I am willing to look at figuring out
how to correct that and contribute a change.