Re: [tor-relays] My Relay speed has dropped nearly to zero - Why?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:08:52AM -0700, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> The current routing algorithm is not utilizing low-bandwidth
> relays as well as it should. This is a known problem but difficult to
> solve. If you can provide below 10 Mbit/s, it might be better for
> now to
> go with a bridge instead

Actually, I think relays less than 10mbit can still be useful.

Back in July I suggested that 800kbit was a good cutoff:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-July/002255.html
but of course faster is still better.

Also, everybody should remember that a relay that uses all its bandwidth
is harming the network as well as helping it, because every byte that
hits the rate limiting necessarily means a delay for the user. I'm a
huge fan of a network where no relays are ever full.

Keep an eye on
https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#bandwidth
or to blow it up more,
https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html?graph=bandwidth&start=2011-07-24&end=2013-10-22#bandwidth
As that purple line continues to grow, we're going to be happy we have
a bit of spare capacity currently.

--Roger