Re: [tor-relays] Intrusion Prevention System Software - Snort or Suricata

Well, this sentence from the EFF gives me some peace of mind: "You are not helping criminals by using Tor any more than you are helping criminals by using the Internet."

I still wish there was a better way to handle things, but at this point I'm just begging the question.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Green Dream <greendream848@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm being to think there is no real solution to the problem. As long as Tor
> serves its purpose of providing uncensored access to the Internet, bad guys
> will always abuse it, and the operators will almost always be at odds with
> their ISP. Anything we try to do to block abuse will destroy the very
> concept of Tor.

Ding ding ding. You're getting it now. :-)

Criminals using Tor is not a new problem. It's addressed as the first
question in the Abuse FAQ, here:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq-abuse.html.en#WhatAboutCriminals

and it's discussed by the EFF here:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/7-things-you-should-know-about-tor

There are a lot of smart people who have been talking about this for a
long time. I won't list more sources but they are easy to find.

Finding information, passing it along. ~SuperSluether