Re: [tor-relays] Intrusion Prevention System Software - Snort or Suricata

On 05/10/16 06:20 PM, Green Dream wrote:
Criminals using Tor is not a new problem. It's addressed as the first
question in the Abuse FAQ, here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq-abuse.html.en#WhatAboutCriminals

and it's discussed by the EFF here:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/7-things-you-should-know-about-tor

Exactly, but criminals/dissidents/spies/researchers a.k.a. arguably legal content, is only half the issue.

The other half is something that maybe Tor people can and should do something about (carefully of course) when we can detect it, namely disruption of the network. This means things like
- floods
- DDoS
- active timing attacks
- messing with DNS
- re-routing
Since these are mostly also problems for ISPs, there may be room for cooperation. One sample question is, if we didnt have to rely only on the information from Tor nodes, could we do better at automatically dealing with certain problems?