Re: [tor-relays] Which clock is out of sync on VPS non-exit relay?

On 09/01/2013 10:57 PM, I wrote:
Hej,

On trying to get a non-exit relay going on a cheap VPS Vidalia says
Sep 02 03:48:32.146 [Warning] Received NETINFO cell with skewed time
from server at 128.31.0.34:9101.  It seems that our clock is ahead by 9
hours, 0 minutes, or that theirs is behind. Tor requires an accurate
clock to work: please check your time and date settings.

I've tried the virtual server clock but with no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me guess: running Tor in an OpenVZ container?

The timezone is an *offset* applied to the UTC time. It doesn't matter what offset is applied if the actual (UTC) time is wrong. Try this:

  ntpdate -q pool.ntp.org

to get a 2nd opinion on how far you are from the actual time. It won't vary depending on the configured timezone.

OpenVZ containers inherit their system time from the host. (That '-q' is for query because that is all you can do - you can't set the time.) Your only recourse is to open a ticket with the VPS vendor and tell them to fix the system time on the node that is hosting your VPS.