Re: [tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

Another amateur relay operator here, i run the node "namelesshero" and I sure hope however this cost reimbursing plan eventually pans out, it won't discourage small folk like us from running relays. I, too, believe the exact opposite is desirable instead. I'll admit i'm not quite sure if i understand the concept here but mixing monetary compensation with voluntary activity doesn't sound good to me at a first look.

And before someone thinks i'm suggesting everyone should be compensated if some people are: Personally, running the relay costs me pretty damn near nothing at all (save for the headache when it refuses to work). I would pay for the connection regardless, the hardware was obtained second(or third)-hand for free and since it has other duties in the local network, it would be running 24/7 even without Tor so electricity is not a problem. Might as well put the extra bandwidth and CPU cycles to some good use. The fuzzy feeling of helping is compensation in itself.

On 18.09.2013 20:36, Rick wrote:
On 09/18/2013 07:31 AM, Tom Ritter wrote:

On Sep 18, 2013 7:11 AM, <tor@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wonder if I am the only one who finds this creepy.......

Nope, I don't think so. Perhaps it's the timing. In this post-Snowden period most everything is a little bit creepy. There's plenty of FUD to go around. A position paper from Torproject on this and other recent issues would be handy about now.
I'm an independent exit pushing about 2GB/day so I don't see a compensation opportunity. Anyway, I don't want to give up my amateur status. :) Still, for big guys who do have financial considerations and are probably better positioned to handle risk this could make sense.
I'm sure Torproject would love to have a few thousand more folks like me, but that's a marketing issue that probably spins around getting Tor greater visibility in the mainstream net.

Rick