Re: [tor-talk] How does Tor help abuse victims?

On 10/06/2014 03:12 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM, z9wahqvh <z9wahqvh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On 2014-10-01 13:20, Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> wrote:
>
>> the abuser ... he/she (mostly he)
>
> Abuse knows no such boundaries, only statistics.
>
>> The people I work with are writing about Tor, and so far, the negatives
>> keep far outweighing the positives, meaning that the ultimate analysis is
>> likely to draw negative conclusions.
>
> That's because that's what they've grown and wish to see and report,
> particularly in the news for ratings, and in negative politics.
> Tor and the like are merely tools. As with statistics, sometimes
> and with some subjects, you will be hard pressed to find the
> alternative evidence you seek... daylight carries risk to good as
> well. Yet if you can imagine it, it's there. Blue pill, red pill...
> free your mind... whole new worlds of usage will open up. That's
> where the oppurtunity for unique ratings worthy analysis, reporting,
> and policy making resides.

Tor is barely ten years old. Uptake has been most rapid, for obvious
reasons, among ideologues and those who need privacy. And there's no
question at some of them need privacy in order to enable and/or hide
various sorts of illegitimate (i.e., non-defensive) aggression.

But the point isn't to debate the merits of various uses. As more and
more people use Tor, the user population will more and more look like
the overall population. The current situation is clearly just a
temporary phase. But it's a vulnerable phase, because adversaries are
misusing the evidence as FUD, seeking to limit Tor's growth.