Re: New maintainers

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Galen Johnson wrote:

> on the seul machine.  I'll help where'er I'm able for that side of
> things.  You may need to sweet talk you network admin into opening up
> port 22 in your firewall.  Once you have your ssh login we can work
> towards getting you "authorized" for xarchon.

Probably the firewall has most <1024 ports open, the trouble with FTP (as
far as I'm concerned) is that it usually asks a port number up in the sky
(28911...17856...) for the data connection.

Roger must have sent you a message with information on how to use SEUL
services, for project administration you should always use secure methods,
e.g.:

* for shell use always ssh, never telnet
* for non-anonymous file transfer use always scp (comes with ssh), never
   ftp
* for non-anonymous cvs access use ssh as transport (that address about
  CVS on SEUL already teaches the right way).

Of course, accessing HTTP, anon FTP and anon CVS with unsecure methods is
no harm, the danger is that in the other connections your password goes as
cleartext (if not using ssh) and can be sniffed, which opens a potential
security hole.

who:     Felipe Paulo Guazzi Bergo, undergraduate in Computer Engineering
what: Linux/FreeBSD developer and advocate. Working to ensure our freedom
mail:    bergo@seul.org || bergo@linuxstart.com || guazzibe@ic.unicamp.br
web:                                   http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~guazzibe
where:                           Unicamp - Campinas - SP - Brazil - Earth

* Trigonometry for farmers: swine and coswine.