Re: CVS and other hosting issues

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 09:44:31AM +1000, Lachlan Cox wrote:
> the SF staff are very helpful

I've heard plenty of horror stories about this, so I would be hesitant to let
you add this to your list.  There have been many instances of people trying to
help add features, etc. and just getting ignored.  There was a slashdot
article about this a few weeks ago, I believe.

> Its a fabulously rich, fast, stable environment - we don't need to use it all, but I think that some things would be very nice, especially for such a distributed dev group. Seul could do the job, but SF does it all automatically, in nice shades of purple.

"Rich" is a bit of a stretch.  The interface needs quite a bit of work, and a
lot of the features they add are very basic.  But I will agree with fast and
stable, and it is enough for most projects.

The advantage Seul has is infinite flexibility.  Want bugzilla?  Fine.  Want
some custom scripting tool put on the site's webserver?  Fine.  Want to move
the site to be hosted at xarchon.org?  Just let someone know and you will
quickly be all set.  It's just a matter of getting one of the Seul admins to
help you out, and you're set to go.  One problem Seul has is that it lacks a
page telling you what all of the many available features are and how to use
them, which is something that is being worked on.

A couple of projects with Seul are using Sourceforge and Seul, using each for
what they are best at, as well.  I have nothing against Sourceforge, really,
it's just that for the projects I have tried, I found Sourceforge to be much
more of a pain to set up and use, with much less support than what is
available at Seul.

Well, enough droning on for my part.  It is up to the main developers to
decide which is best.  For the projects I am involved with, I have found Seul
to be an invaluable asset to those projects, regardless of whether they are
Seul hosted or just Seul supported.  Whichever way you plan to go, the people
at Seul will be glad to help you in any way they can.

--
Daniel E. Markle