Re: possibility

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Felipe Bergo wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Dan hursh wrote:
> > Seriously though, how about we pick a handful of libs to use, and try to
> > limit the project to them.  It might be good for the users.  I'd vote for
> > something like the following:
> >
> > 	ANSI, or POSIX C libraries
> > 	SDL (and dependancies)
> > 	something for loading images? (Does SDL cover this well enough?)
>
> Acceptable. I'd go for libpng if SDL doesn't have it already.
>
> > 	SDL-mixer (optional? maybe? It will make sound easier)
>
> No problem.
>
> > 	something for mp3? (incase folks aren't happy with midi or mod)
>
> The game distribtuion will include mp3 files ? weird.

  I've seen it before.  You can't depend on how midi will sound unless
you can require a give software synth and load you own patch sets.  You
also have to do that to use sounds not a part of general midi.  Mods just
aren't that easy for me to create, but they can be pretty good when done
right.  They eat up sound channels though.  WAV is predictable and has no
limit to instruments.  It's also huge even for a trival tune.  MP3 is the
same except it's well compressed and a CPU hog.
  Basicly, we don't need mp3s.  But would we like to make it available to
theme makers?  It might be easier to compose and record that way.  (It is
for me.)   I won't cry if we don't have it though.  There are more
important things.

Dan