Re: [bos-dev] map & scripts

Francois Beerten wrote:
Hi Ron,

Those graphics are suberp !  We all love them. The map looks very good.

Great!  Glad you like them!
I uploaded the complete package including the graphic at http://www.boswars.org/addons/maps/plains.map.tgz. It's more reliable than imageshack.

That file size limit on savannah is very annoying:
"File plains.map.tgz not attached: the allowed upload size is 512 kilobytes, after escaping characters as required. This file size is 1232 kilobytes." Suggestions for alternatives are welcome. Maybe we could use the wiki. It allows file uploads and we control it completly.
Sorry, no suggestions here... very slow & unreliable connection where I live, so my web presence is in short spurts. Not up to date on what's out there these days... :(

By the way, did you see that in Bos Wars all our new work is licensed under the GPL v2 ? This means for example that for graphics we need the sources to comply.
??? what constitutes "source" for a .png? I don't mind providing, but not sure what you need... unless you mean the individual patches that make up the set? (and I was trying so hard to be lazy...)

Nobody has managed to make a good set of patches yet. The challenge is to create patches with pieces of terrain that can be seamlessly combined to create varying types of terrain features. For example, multiple compatible shore chunks which can be combined to create different kinds of lakes.
I have been playing with that a little, my next one will have the same plain grass background but with connectable patches. Geomorph & PlanetGenesis both can create tilable height fields, and a little creative blending in Gimp can do wonders with the edges. :) But that's why I started looking at making units of the plants, to facilitate hiding the seams in the editor...

That reminds me of a question... does the patch mechanism support transparency like the units do? That would simplify connecting patches considerably; you could use small, feature specific patches with feathered transparent edges to connect larger patches.

We found a few links which give some hints on how this could be done:
* http://www.boswars.org/dev/tutorials/TileSet_Tutor/tileset%20tut.html
* http://www.boswars.org/dev/tutorials/bryce2/
Will have to check those out...

Now, I have to finish the coding I started in the engine to get this release out. After that one, we plan to work on the engine to add better support for patches and map making.

Feb.

Oooh! New release??? Let me get out of your way...

RG