Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-sa] Teen Challenge -Network

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 06:18:34PM +1000, Kylie Davies scrawled:
> We were also told that things would be better under KDE3 (from KDE2) but this
> has been proven wrong. We are told that KDE3.1 will be much better...but
> those who have had a go on the development box (a P166 with 32RAM) - have
> given up with it - because it is slowwwwwww and all you mainly do - is wait.
> Maybe we could get rid of some of the KDE eye candy and the system may become
> somewhat faster...do computer users really need a shadow backdrop under their
> mouse cursor??? ;)

Well, on the (recently-reformatted) dev box, nothing's been pared down
(ditto capzilla). We haven't configured it as we would a normal shipping
system; that comes later. For now we're just mainly making sure
everything works. And, to be fair, capzilla has other issues - like not
being able to last through a compile - that do actually have an impact
on this.

When we disable all the eye candy (and the impact of the shadowed cursor
is absolutely trivial, I assure you), it'll get a lot faster.

> Oh - and dare i say it - the knoppix german hdd installer - is too
> easy...even in German.... not many questions to answer...really a walk in the
> park cf other linux installs I have done. And the end result was
> perfecto...everything worked including sound! :)

At the cost of a reasonably slow and inflexible system, although it is
quite nice if you're in a hurry.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne