Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-sa] Teen Challenge -Network

HI all,

And now I join in....

Peter Gossner wrote:

> Now as we give poor unsuspecting recipients comparatively low end boxes
> I believe we should be installing software that makes their experience
> pleasant / easy.  That means it should be responsive.

Totally agree here, hence why I am tearing my hair out over the system we are
currently distributing in Victoria...this is why I am asking for more memory
in the systems - because - unless we ship a P2 class system - the computer is
way slow, not that useable (lots of waiting time / hdd cranking) and it
doesnt do anything to promote free software as an alternative.

I, as a trainer and a linux user (only since 96) - I am totally embarrassed
when recips say is it really this slow or when KWORD takes up to 4 mins to
open a KWORD document. (P133, 32RAM) We recently had one who decided that
they didnt want this computer after all - it was much too slow.

In Vic - admittedly there has been a lot of great development by Jaymz,
Daniel and others...to enable KDE  to run faster on low end systems...but
with KDE3 -*I* think we have gone OTT. It really needs 64RAM at the
minimum...it runs dog slow on P133 (so much so that we are not shipping
these).

Before the KDE development - we also had some development involving GNOME -
by Frank C..this changed at some point...with NO real discussion...but we
were promised that things would be faster. (Incidentally one of our recips
came in the other day with this GNOME install - and their system flew - in
comparison to the ones we now ship on the same spec box.)

We were also told that things would be better under KDE3 (from KDE2) but this
has been proven wrong. We are told that KDE3.1 will be much better...but
those who have had a go on the development box (a P166 with 32RAM) - have
given up with it - because it is slowwwwwww and all you mainly do - is wait.
Maybe we could get rid of some of the KDE eye candy and the system may become
somewhat faster...do computer users really need a shadow backdrop under their
mouse cursor??? ;)

Anyway - that's my 2 cents for now... I'll just sit back and wait for the
flames to burn me. :)

Oh - and dare i say it - the knoppix german hdd installer - is too
easy...even in German.... not many questions to answer...really a walk in the
park cf other linux installs I have done. And the end result was
perfecto...everything worked including sound! :)

Cheers,

Kylie

---
Kylie Davies