Re: [Computerbank] Section 30 Dissolution (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:04:25 +0800
From: buddriged@switch.aust.com
To: computerbank@lists.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [Computerbank] Section 30 Dissolution

Hi all,

I remember when we were forming our constitution, the issue of
free/non-free software came up and was discussed at some length.  In the
end, we (Computer Angels) deliberately avoided description of any
particular technology in our constitution so as to allow for maximum
flexibility in the long-term.  We happen to use GNU/Linux for most of our
installations because it suits our purposes, both technically and
politically.  The thinking was that if at some point - for whatever reason
- we needed/wanted to mandate some particular technology, it can be
included in the by-laws, which are 1000% easier to modify as needed than
the constitution.  We have however also used Dr-DOS on some of the *really*
ancient hardware that we've been given (We have applied for and gained
specific written permission to do this from Caldera).  On these systems we
use Arachne for web-browsing, and also using a free (beer and speech)
word-processor for DOS.  We tested our Free-Dos but found it was not quite
there yet technically.

cheers

David Buddrige.

|--------+--------------------------------------->
|        |          "The Moose(tm)"              |
|        |          <moose@bovine.artificial-stup|
|        |          idity.net>                   |
|        |          Sent by:                     |
|        |          computerbank-admin@lists.linu|
|        |          x.org.au                     |
|        |                                       |
|        |                                       |
|        |          01/10/01 17:04               |
|        |                                       |
|--------+--------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                          |
  |      To:     computerbank@lists.linux.org.au                                                             |
  |      cc:     cb-private@thingy.apana.org.au                                                              |
  |      Subject:     [Computerbank] Section 30 Dissolution                                                  |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi all

Computer Angels SOP is as follows:
Computer Angels is a volunteer organisation which aims to make Information
Technology accessible to all West Australian residents, regardless of
income, age or disability. We are non-religious and non-political.

Maybe we could say that
CAI is an organisation dedicated to making Information Technology
accessible to low income earners and community groups regardless of
income, age, sex, religion, race or disability.To this end we promote the
use of non-commercial software so our recipients are not economically as
well as educationally penalised.

thank you
Penni
computerbank