Re: [Computerbank] 225q, Ararat and a new project in NE-VIc

Hi Bruce, Hi all!

Hope we are all having happy times over the *holiday* season. :)

Hmmm...no one from computerbank on the list - ahem - it's the holidays
and I, for one, decided it was time I spent time _away_ from the
computer - get outdoors kinda of thing - relax - take a break. Hope
others will do the same.

But I will provide comment about a few things...if only to quench the
thirst of some of our more prolific posters! :)

Okay - on the subject of 225q and NYE - do whatever you like - post
about it here - organise an action committee - have a meeting at
computerbank or 225q about it - have fun. :) I'll be away in the bush.

Thanks to Darrell for his post about ACT involvement in Computerbank -
will look forward to chatting about this in early January...meanwhile
will look for ACT people who have expressed an interest in Computerbank
before (there has definately been a few).

On the subject of Greg White and Ararat - I think Greg is doing some
wonderful work in regards to getting some support together. When i am
back in the office - I'll check old emails for people who may live in
that area - who may have shown interest in helping computerbank - I know
that there are a few in Ballarat and Bendigo.

Further on this subject I'd suggest that Greg come down and visit in
Melbourne (if possible) to get a crash course in linux and maybe take
home a few practice boxes. Give us a call after January 8th (we are on
holidays til then!) to arrange a time (this will give us time to prepare
the boxes).

Other than that - keep up the good work - do what you can - harness
support and talk to people who share similar goals. We'll stay in touch
about the people who might be able to assist. Take a look at the linux
folk locator (what was that URL again?) to see if there is a linux
friendly geek in your area.

Okay...

Another interesting thing that I will mention right now (I promised I
would) and food for thought for all...

A project for both CAI-VIC and CAI-NSW (if okay with NSW) involving the
NE of VIC (near and around King Valley area), close to the NSW border
(details are a little sketchy because I've misplaced the project notes
i'd taken). We want to be able to network the italian tobacco growers
with 3 networks of three computers capable of Internet access (so 9 in
all). It is preferable to have these systems in both English and
Italian.

There are also about 12 stand alone systems to head down this way too,
but there are no issues with these.

Can anyone comment about the Italian side of the project? Do we have any
Italian speaking folk amongst us - and if so are you in NSW or VIC? What
about the degree of difficulty - are we able to implement friendly GUI's
for these people - some whom will have never used a computer before?
Questions...questions...

Anyway - hope everyone is enjoying their holidays and hope we all have a
great new year!

More on the Italian project later... :) Back online January 7th!

Cheers,

Kylie