Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-vic] What happened at the AGM?

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 04:01:15AM -0500, simeon scott scrawled:
> If I was a paid up member I would certainly be complaining, because all I have heard is that during an online AGM half the meeting was conducted 'out of camera' in a forum named #meta-backstabbers.
>
> If you don't think that raises questions, you are deluding yourself.

What about real AGMs - I'm sure people whisper to each other during
those. Surely this is highly improper!

The answer is: who cares? I was not in #meta-backstabbers myself (nor
was I present at the AGM, for a variety of reasons), and I don't care
that it exists. People were talking amongst themselves, news at 11. It
happens all the time. If you think that people discussing issues in
private is HORRIBLE IMPROPRIETARY, OH THE HUMANITY!, you really need to
get a grip, and face reaslity.

> > Your implication I was involved in some sort of voting impropriety are
> > personally deeply insulting, and totally unfactual. I particpated in no
> > voting not approved of at the time by the parties present, including the
> > canditates for president, and as I believed to be part of the Constitution.
>
> I'm sorry if you feel personally insulted .. as I said at the start of my previous response, my response was not aimed personally at you, I simply had no other information or pathway by which to comment. Certainly one person alone cannot have a meeting, so on those grounds alone if nothing else, my comments were not to single you out.

Um, Simeon, it was. Just saying that it's not aimed at someone, then
proceeding to aim it at someone, doesn't make it so.

("Hey, nothing personal, not about you, but you're a fucktard!", and
 getting offended when the person calls you on it).

Your message was *clearly* aimed at Romana.

> > I would never have participated in any irregularity if I was aware of it at
> > the time.
>
> Is this to say that there were irregularities that you were not aware of at the time? I don't understand what you yourself are now 'implying'.

She's saying this:
I don't know that there were any irregularities, and if I knew of any, I
wouldn't be a part of them, meaning also that I wouldn't be a part of
them if I didn't know about them, obviously.

> > And despite mutterings, noone has made an formal complaint or a
> > protest, and I would hope one is either made, or we can move on as an
> > organsation.
>
> Well, that's just my problem. I do want to see the organisation move on, but first half of your AGM has been 'offlined' and now the explanation of what occurred has also been carried out seemingly in private.

As I said, people talk in private sometimes! You may have to get used to
this. If you want Computerbank to take it further as a group, then make
a formal complaint. AFAIK, no-one else has so far, meaning there's
absolutely no reason any of this has to be public, or even revealed to
you.

> > Excuse me Simeon, but WTF indeed!
>
> I don't know you or really the organisation and have very little to form an opinion by, I was trying to point out that whatever happened looks very insidious to those of us 'out of the loop'. The whole problem is that you have cut ordinary Computerbank people out.

Like it or not, people sometimes do things in private, for a variety of
reasons: they don't want others to hear, they want unimpeded discussion,
whatever. Would you be just as offended if it was all done in /msg?

I don't care, and I don't see why you should, either. Do you walk up to
people whispering to themselves at bricks-and-mortar AGMs, and loudly
demand to know exactly what they're saying? I seriously don't see your
point, and think you're overreacting. Why, I don't know.

> If the matter has been dealt with by internal discussion, please say so, as a group on record. Not just 'oh - no-one seems to care'. Even if they do not care today, some day someone may look back and say 'WTF?!'

Then let them look back and say wtf. It was a dysfunctional AGM, people
spoke among themselves, deal. Most organizations have those.

Daniel

PGP signature