[Computerbank] Fwd: Re Computerbank New Website

> Message: 3
> To:     computerbank@lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Computerbank] Test site / revenue streams - Redevelopment of CB website!
> Date:   Fri, 06 Jul 2001 15:32:32 +1000 (EST)
> From:   Kylie Davies <kylied@projectx.com.au>
>
> Heya Sam,
>
> Thanks for mailing the list re the redevelopment of the computerbank website!
> And mighty fine effort too. <claps loudly> :)
>
> Okay, so now that it is out of the bag - people please go and check it out. See
> http://computerbank.cable.nu/

Hi Sam and Kylie
I am not involved in Computer Bank (yet).
I am in Sydney and contacted Craig Warner. I have missed the meeting last week in Sydney,
but hoping to catch up to see if I could be any help. I do get the email list digest, it
is a good start!!
I am webmaster at UTS Sydney (Uni of Technology), and I am keen to be involved in any
webactivities you might need (nsw website, convert HTML to the new format…)
I will contact Craig again.

My comments from the testing site

1/ From a developer point of view
You have made the right choice with php nuke. This is the best dynamic website
application I have tested (may be with Phpwebsite). It is easy to modify the application
to match your needs and use addons.
Mysql and Php are the way to go anyway. It's a very exciting open source technology.

2/ from a user point of view
That kind of web site is very refreshing and easy to navigate.
It would be good to have the Australian and States websites consistent. Using different
colours and special logos for the states websites.
I think the banner should merge more into the site design. Same level as the CB logo and
move the search box down a bit. It is just a bit of space wasted at the top, and on a
small display it make a big difference.

3/Computer bank users?
Do you have information about CB users?  What they want, need when they check the
websites?

4/Computer bank web strategy?
Do you want to create a strong web presence on the national level or states level or
both?
Where do you want to send your web users: to the main site, or to the states sites?

4/One question
Is there any need for 5 states sites and the Australian one using phpnuke style?

If you have the main Australian site and the states sites like phpnuke using the same
features (calendar, chat...) it might be a bit confusing for people to have 2 different
calendars, chat rooms, news stories, download sections....

Thoughts??
a/ The Australian site could be more simple (static) with a quick intro blurb, some
corporate information, and links to the states sites, which would have all those dynamic
news, chat, download stuffs.
b/ Or, The main Australian site should be the only site using some of the nuke features
(calendar, chat, download) and the states sites could only link to it.
It would be easier to maintain, to control and avoid to duplicating the information, and
possible mistakes.

You need lots of resources to maintain those sites. Nuke makes it easier but you still
need people to do it. I found always disappointing to see "dynamic" websites not updated
on a regular basis.

The site is excellent!!!
That's only my personal thought anyway.
Frederic Fery