Re: Question on the draft constitution

I agree with Tony.

One thing (as I have prevously said) that was concerning me was the
difference between wanting to help people and being just another Lunix Club.

I disagree that the extra wording is required for the ATO.  What the ATO
wants is clear statements of humanitarian purpose and I am convinced that a
form of words can be found to express that objective without forcing the
fundamentals of the constitution FORCING everyone to endorse the politics of
open source or otherwise and/or Linux in particular.

I recall putting up some words when Treasurer, after carefull consideration
of the ATO requirements, and which seem to me to be much the same as what
Tony is now saying.

I also agree that it is an artificial restriction of future operations to
have the constitution implicitly prevent the organization from working with
other platforms.  At the end of the day if you are genuinely setting out to
assist people in a charitable manner then these parochial clauses are
proving something different and a smart person at the ATO could well pick up
on that and argue that the organization is just a special interest group.

I agree with Patricia that the discussion is worthwhile.

David Totterdell