Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:03:22 +1000
From: Tony Joblin <tonyjoblin@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Questions regarding constitution
To: Kylie Davies <kylied@projectx.com.au>,\"Penni Diffey (CBV Sec)\"
<moose@artificial-stupidity.net>

Hi Penni and Kylie,

I have a few questions and points I would like to make about the
constitution.

3.1 Objectives

In this section there is a strong sense of intention to give away the PCs
and training for free. Is the intention ? Some of the community workers we
have spoken to here in QLD have suggested charging a small fee for the PCs
and training and have also suggested that by charging a fee for access to
other programs they have been involved with actually improves the outcomes
of the project. This section of the constitution might preclude this.
Reasons for charging a fee include:
1. Filter people who really want one as opposed to those who simple get it
because its there and free.
2. Reduce the likely hood of profiteering where individuals might
immediately resell the hardware.
The fees need not be excessive and in some cases microcredit schemes may
exists to enable people to access your project. If you want to allow for the
possibility of charging fees then you might want to clarify the language in
this section. It may also be necessary to modify one of the sentances eg \"To
provide computers and services, either for free or for a reasonable fee, to
...\". You might need to modify the sections on management or committees to
give this power to the committee.

Tony Joblin, President
Computerbank Queensland
07 3371 1311 (working hours)