request for equipment and travel assistance for East Timor lawyers

Hello

Catherine's request (below) was in Through Our Eyes last Thursday 21 June:
www.nwjc.org.au/rrr/

I have only been on the [CA] and Computer bank lists for a little while and
I'm not sure whether this is in your area of expertise or interest. But I
responded to Catherine via email today steering Catherine and DCLS towards
thinking about open source and open content with articles and links such as
computerbank.org.au, Danny Yee's free software advocacy links and East
Timor projects.

If this post is inappropriate, please let me know the generally adopted
procedure for an individual or organisation to access CA and Computerbank.

All the best
Jacqueline

---
1.5 NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNITY LEGAL CENTRES, EAST TIMOR
SOLIDARITY NETWORK
Contributed by Catherine Caruana, East Timor Solidarity Network Contact,
volunteer Darwin Community Legal Service

The Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS) has initiated the National
Association of CLC East Timor Solidarity Network.  The Network is
encouraging sharing of information among Australian legal centre workers
about ways to support capacity building of small legal aid and advocacy
organisations in East Timor. There has been a lot of effort by the legal
profession and the community generally in Darwin and the Northern Territory.

In February 2001 the NT Branch of the International Commission of Jurists
made a report on key ways that the Australian legal community could be
involved in aiding reconstruction of the legal system in East Timor and we
followed on with our own direct assessment.

We have prepared a web site (see below) which contains a detailed report
and summary of the need that we have identified in East Timor.  The things
that are needed now include equipment.  Specifically: - computers (Pentium
100 or later), laptops (and batteries), printers, modems, virus protection
and software; generators; technology to prevent lost work during power
failure - UPS, circuit breakers etc; office furniture; phones; motorbikes,
for transport to the districts

If you can help with any of these please contact me. The DCLS can
coordinate transport of equipment from Darwin to East Timor, if the
equipment is sent to us in Darwin.

Also, the DCLS has, on behalf of the NACLC, established a travel fund that
aims to raise enough money to sponsor 10 East Timor lawyers from small
community organisations to attend the NACLC Conference in Perth in
September. Each sponsored place will cost about $3400 which includes
travel, registration, meals and accommodation.

If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to the travel fund
please make your cheque payable to DCLS - East Timor Community Lawyers
Travel Fund and post it with your contact details to the address below.

Darwin Community Legal Centre
PO Box 3180
Darwin NT 0801
ph (08)8982 1111 fax (08) 8982 1112
You can contact Catherine Caruana by email catherine@dcls.org.au  or by
leaving a message at DCLS or if urgent ask for Cassandra Goldie at DCLS.
Web site: http://www.dcls.org.au/etimor
---

-
ComputerBank Australia -- http://www.computerbank.org.au/