Re: [Computerbank] Re: What happened at the AGM?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 05:43:25PM +1100, Patricia Fraser wrote:
> Hi Tim (long time no see!) & all,
>
> > I still find it surprising (frankly) that there was nothing on the lists
> > about the AGM until an interested (semi) outsider who follows CB ask what
> > happened.
>
> Do you? I don't. Most operational stuff - announcements of meetings, advance
> meeting agendas, notices of reports &c so people can read them ahead of time,
> notices that minutes are up, that kind of thing - doesn't seem to have been
> going up on the lists for quite some time. It's not how I'd personally like
> it to be, but it's the way it seems to have developed... the lists faded in
> importance and informativeness from the day CBV moved into Rosslyn St.

The level of communication needs to change dramatically. I have had some
mail server issues, sut am still trying to find the mail asking for
nominations in the archives.

5 of the committee members are based in 2 house holds, so I guess they
just have their private conversations and do as they please.

> I think it's been a mistake, because communication between us all is very,
> very important - and not everyone we need uses irc, or even has regular
> access to the net...

I am on irc quite a bit and there is not much informations there either.

> > Are we going to have an announcement from the Prez?
> >
> > Are we going to have a 'serious' protest from anyone?
>
> The most serious protest, and the most dangerous to this very special
> organisation, is the silent walkout of volunteers and members who no longer
> find/found Computerbank a place where there offerings are welcome. It's not
> about legality, it's about a perceived lack of community; to some of us, it
> has felt very possible to be "unsuitable" for quite a while. I think this is
> a sad thing; Computerbank began, and ran for quite a long time as the most
> inclusive, welcoming organisation I've ever come across. I think that is all
> but gone in the Vic part of the organisation, and I'd love to see us doing
> some real work to bring that back;

Don't forget about the members who will leave. I used to be proud
to be associated with Computerbank, but now feel like leaving as I don't
like how it is being run.

> > This organisation used to be one of the most transparent I knew of -
> > discussions should be taking place on the mailing list.
>
> I agree; and I think the transparency grew from the warmth, the trust and the
> inclusiveness of the group; a real sense that we needed everyone who was
> willing to help, no matter what offerings they brought. And there was a real
> sense that it was up to us as a group to encourage each other and value each
> others' contributions.

> It's sad that we might even have to think about enforcing as a policy what
> used to happen from people's generosity of spirit...
>
> > At the moment it seems like several core groups are infighting, simply
> > presuming everyone who 'matters' knows what is going on.
>
> I think everyone is afraid, and hurt, and upset; and why not? the lovely
> thing we built is fracturing, and it's not so lovely any more.

> We desperately need to re-find our real reason for being here at all -
> otherwise, many of us are inclined to pack up and take our gifts elsewhere...

Well said.