[Computerbank] An open letter to CAI (no, its nice, really! ;) )

I am reading all these emails from all parties, myself included, and what
strikes me is the air of frustration on all sides. The other thing that is
striking me is the seige mentality of 'us and them' that is starting to
permeate, and its so sad to see.

Personal gripes and politics are running away with CAI, and all of us, no
matter what we think, are needed to play a role in healing and
reconciliation, so that CAI may move forward. The destructive nature of all
our griping is becoming more and more obvious - we certainly are acquiring a
reputation as a laughing stock and a politically fractured and splintered
organisation in several areas, over several states now.

I ask us all to consider uniting to begin a healing process. To consider what
is best for CAI - to examine the constitution, and ourselves, and ask what we
can EACH do to contribute to improvement? Many have spoken of their feling of
exclusion - I ask now for all of us to welcome EACH other, to set petty
squables and differences aside to reunite in a common purpose - CAI.

For each gripe, think of a recipient. For each resentment, think of the
service CAI provides in recycling. The good done for communities and
individuals. For GNULinux/Open Source.

We all joined CAI to do good, to help people. It has now started to degenerate
into what CAI can provide for US, and the assumption that we know better than
anyone what CAI needs. Actually, as a group, we are wise and powerful. We can
accomplish much.

Please, I extend my hand out and hope it will be met by many others,
discarding personal and petty issues along the way to reignite the dream for
CAI we all have - to be all it can be. The way ahead will be difficult, sure,
there is much healing to do, but I think a fresh start, with a determination
to work WITH each other, would be a step towards a CAI which helps every
single individual or group in need - and isnt that REALLY what we joined for?
To Shaun, Robert, Kylie, Tim, and all others who have expressed their feeling
of exclusion, I extend my hand to you, and hope we all can do the same.

I hope all those who have issues with the current team realise how much good
it would do CAI to unite together and teach each other how to do the best job
we can. INstead of criticism or silent resentment, suggestions and help. If
you feel unlistened to, approach someone else. In practical terms, we need
mechanisms - let us set up networks of communication and mediation to resolve
this. Let us work on our behaviours that divide instead of join, seperate
instead of unite, damage instead of improve. Let us work on a flawed
constitution, and forge a new way ahead.

We dont need to tear down walls, we need to build bridges to each other.

In that spirit of reconciliation, to all I have offended and upset, I truly
apologise, and hope we can progress and learn from this - I am certainly
learning much. I cannot express fully my belief, commitment, and absolute
PASSION for CAI, and what we do. I know so many of you, and EVERYONE I know
is an incredibly committed and talented individual, with diversity and gifts
to share in abundance. Let us share now.

In friendship and hope of new beginnings, Romana:)

ps the views expressed are not those of the SA Branch, but of my own
individual thinkings.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Romana Challans
GPG Key fingerprint =
F09E F80E 5DCA 9476 7753  9423 2CC7 81E8 4F07 1AD2

State Coordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated, SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main."
(Meditation 17, John Donne)