Re: [Computerbank] Suggestions for one step beyond.....

Hi Romana,

> OK, I opened my big mouth on healing, lets look at some practical
> solutions:

Hope you don't mind some comments 8-)

> COMMITTEE COMMUNICATIONS:
> Reminder email to all CAI, to reacquaint them with the web site, and gently
> reminding them where minutes live.

Yep - because you can't be sure that we won't have new members joining
between meetings. So there might be, at any time, people who haven't been to
the website and read minutes before; and besides, people like to be
communicated with, ne?

> Ensuring there is meeting calendar on cai page - amended as dates changed

And a reminder email. It can be the same one every time, with tiny amendments
for dates - and the inclusion of an agenda!! so people can prepare, read
proposals &c in advance, that kind of thing.

> Emailed reminders that meeting has occured, check <url> for minutes etc
> (this could be templated, and even automated via scripting to occur a week
> after meeting.

Yep I agree - but if the stuff prior to the meeting has happened, then this
might not be so necessary?

> All coordinators to ensure their reports are available online, and url
> posted to cai in advance - say two days before scheduled meeting

And Committee members' reports. Please.

> Agenda online two days before meeting - hence all submissions to be
> received efore then - perhaps we need a scripty thing to do this, to reduce
> the workload on our volunteer-only and heavily overworked secretary?
> Perhaps rotating responsibility through committee?

Can go out in one of the notification emails... see, there's a law governing
this, it's not just constitutional. There's a statutory requirement on the
incorporated organisation that *all* financial members receive notification
in advance (the timeframe is stated somewhere) of *all* general meetings, and
the business to be transacted thereat.

> GENERAL COMMITTEE STUFF:
> Clear definitions of expected tasks for each role of Secretary, President,
> etc. We expect a great deal from those in somewhat tenuously defined roles,
> and from unpaid volunteers! Perhaps definition would ease unrealistic
> expectations, and provide those elected with clear understanding of
> expectations and tasks.

Um... all the Committee job descriptions have already been written at least
once - I know, 'cause I did 'em. The roles were defined by the Policy Group,
and the descriptions were ratified by the committee of CBV; my understanding
was that the job descriptions were to roll over to cover the National
Committee after CBV became CAI. Did something else happen? Or are the
descriptions just gathering dust? Either way, the membership hasn't been told
- I've been financial since Day 1 (early 1999) and nobody's notified me...

> Don's suggestion of Candidacy Statements should definitely be looked at,
> for adoption into constitution if possible. Excellent idea - especially
> given the distribution over states of candidates!

I'm with Don; I won't vote for someone who won't tell everyone what they're
about.

> Actually, lets look at Constitution. Goddess knows, we need it!

Constitutional change is not necessarily going to accomplish anything - we
*already* have a full quota of policies and procedures that *aren't being
adhered to*. If we can get these up and running again, then I'd say maybe,
it's worth looking at the Connie. But if the current management team doesn't
follow, or even worse doesn't *know about* the current operating policies and
procedures *that were ratified by the Committee*.... what use would a new
Connie be???

> Clearer voting procedures. Secure online voting in advance possible?
> Passwords issued in advance for those unable to attend to cast their vote
> before day? (Computer generated and scripted for impartiality, of course!)
>
> Rules for meeting procedures, and expected/acceptable behaviours for
> meetings. (Yes, i'm in desperate need there, arent i peeps?;)  )

I for one am not interested in participating again in an unmoderated online
meeting. The AGM was a great shambles!

> COMMUNICATION:
> Suggestion box - electronic would be good, anonymous if possible...

I don't need anonymity, dammit: I want *results*!

> Developing mechanisms to handle disputes and tensions - so everyone has an
> equal voice. Some sort of gripes forum, with resolution the expected
> outcome.
> Procdures for lodging formal grievances, and for handling same.

We have a grievance policy and processes (I helped write them up, too, and
they were ratified). They have no teeth, since you, a member of the
committee, doesn't know about them...

> OTHER:
> Define state structures adequately, and the processes within them, so all
> feel included and informed of process(es). (The current situation of ill
> defined consenus leads to much confusion and difficulty imho!)

I wouldn't call it consensus; without much fuller communication, there's a
great bloc of members that don't know what's being decided or proposed or
done, and so they aren't consenting...

> What can we automate in these suggestions? What can we spread to other
> people, not just committee? What can other people contribute? Don and I
> have started the ball rolling - lets see what the rest of you gifted
> creative types can do!

Before I stick my hand up for anything else, I'm waiting to hear from any
recently-elected member of the National Committee - why aren't any of you out
here talking?

8-)
--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia