Re: [Computerbank] OT: disposing of "junk"

Hi Neale,

> Is it considered acceptable to just turf these in the domestic refuse
> collection?  If not, what is usually done?

Um, for me, not really acceptable - but then again we all have different
standards from which we work...

Chemical toxic nasties go into water catchments / soil and you (and I)
eventually end up drinking this / breathing this / eating food from this.

Disposal of IT equipment is going to be one big headache for the future
- it is already causing major problems in 3rd world / developing nations
  (with western nations shipping toxic IT waste there).

The best way to recycle old pc's and equipment is by taking them to a
metal / plastic / monitor recycler. If you are in Melbourne - there is
HMR - in Heidelberg on phone 9458 4888. You might try calling SIMS
Plastics re plastic components - but more often than not they request
that you grade the plastic first.

I am not too sure what is available in other states - MRI recycle in
Melb and Sydney. http://www.mri.com.au

Anyone else have any ideas on this topic? What do other states do re IT
waste? Everything in Vic gets recycled. :)  WA? QLD, SA and NSW? What
recycling practices do you adopt?

Cheers all,

Kylie Davies

--
Kylie Davies
Victorian Branch Co-ordinator

This email and any attachments may be confidential and
the subject of legal professional privilege.  Any disclosure,
use, storage or copying of this email without the consent
of the sender is strictly prohibited.

Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the
intended Recipient and then delete the email from your
inbox and do not disclose the contents to another
person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.