Re: A new Uprising

On Sunday 15 August 2004 06:56 am, Jens Granseuer wrote:

Ok, I've looked over everything and thought about it, I'll be writing an
updated outline in a minute, but wanted to comment on this.

> FNA:
>
> "For a long time, the people of Nexus had lived in peace, with just
> a few minor interruptions. Then, in the year 2483 after the Foundation
> of the Capital of Allantha (F.A.) a ship landed on Nexus, carrying
> invaders from the western part of the galaxy. The strangers claimed
> the planet now to be part of the Empire of Kand and began to exploit
> the rich mineral resources, forcing the original inhabitants to work
> in the mines, where many of them died.
>
> Shortly after the occupying forces had shown their true nature riots
> broke out in several parts of Nexus. The Empire had to surrender large
> parts of the planet, but most of the riots within the borders of
> former Republic of Kerlo were put down immediately and with brute
> force. From then on, the Free Nexus Army, one of the major rebel
> factions in this territory, organized the resistance secretly and led
> a guerilla war against the Kandelian intruders in the Yalmar province.

I want to move all of the above to the wiki, rather than a mission briefing,
and make a few edits.  As you said elsewhere, Jens, we can assume the
officers know how they got into the war.  ;)

Then the remainder of the briefing needs only slight edits (nothing that
should hold back a release right now).

> After two years of preparation we now think it is time to openly
> confront the invaders. You may have heard rumours of unrest in other
> regions of Kerlo, and if there is some truth to them, this could
> provide the distraction we were hoping for. Rhintura, the small town
> that has been our headquarters for the last two years, will become
> the first free town in Kerlo, and it won't be the last.
>
> We have brought the two small garrisons in Rhintura under our
> control, but the Empire now sends in forces from the nearby barracks.
> What we have to prove now is that we can keep the town even when the
> Empire tries to take it back.
>
> You will command our forces near Rhintura and repel the Kandelian
> forces. You must destroy those troops or conquer the barracks while
> defending our headquarters.
>
> Good Luck! For a free Nexus!"
>

> Empire:
>
> "Two years ago, in 519 of the Third Emperor (T.E.), or 2483 F.A.
> counting in local terms, we landed on Nexus with a few ships. Scans
> had indicated rich mineral resources, and we needed material to
> support and defend our colonies in the northern parts of the galaxy.
>
> Unfortunately, the inhabitants stubbornly refused to cooperate and
> initiated a revolt three months after our arrival. We were able to
> put it down and decided to send in more troops to secure the
> resources and protect our workers. Today, our sphere of influence
> encompasses the former Republic of Kerlo and a few important mineral
> fields beyond the old borders. However, ever since that incident two
> years ago small groups of Nexian outlaws and troublemakers have
> cowardly ambushed small parties and settlements all over our realm,
> especially in rural areas.

I don't know how much of this will need to change to accomodate my new and
improved storyline, depends on the character of Kand.  I'm thinking that Kand
weakened themself on Nexus as a result of factional infighting in upper
echelons of their empire, and possibly an assassination of their emperor, so
the family that holds Nexus moved some troops off-world in order to
strengthen their own imperial and colonial holdings for the power struggle to
come (knowing they control the most resource-rich planet in the empire).  The
remaining forces, in order to keep order, went on a wave of brutality to try
to remind the Nexians who rules Nexus, and the wave backfired, resulting in a
few riots.  Then, for the two years the FNA sat and waited for the right time
to attack, Kand had their hands full dealing with civil unrest.  So as it
stands Kand nominally controls the whole planet, but their troops can't go
out at night in groups less than 6 or whatever, and many regions they don't
even have a presence, although many of the conservative elements of Nexus
(and many of the large businesses) continue to acknowledge Kand's control.

So, the Kandelian troops stationed on Nexus can't get reinforcements because
of the infighting in their own empire, but they are still supplied at this
point.  Throughout the story we'll see Kand recruiting Nexians, either
conservative types or mercenaries, and also drafting Nexians and making them
fight or die (like some generals of old who would stand there and whip their
slaves to keep them fighting).

> I recent weeks there has been a flare of unrest in various districts.
> It seems the rebels have finally become desperate enough for a direct
> confrontation. Now that they have come out into the open, we believe
> it is our chance to settle the matter once and for all. You will be
> commanding our forces near the town of Rhintura where a small group
> calling themselves the Free Nexus Army have overrun two of our
> installations. Your task is to crush the rebel forces, and to take
> back the garrisons.
>
> Remember, if we lost access to the resources of Nexus our colonies
> may be doomed.
>
> Long live the Emperor!"
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

A few.  ;)

Dave

--
Visit my website!
http://www.davefancella.com/?event=em

Look!  A ladder!  Maybe it leads to heaven, or a sandwich!