Re: Campaign Story Revised

On 27.08.2004 06:52, Dave Fancella wrote:
On Thursday 26 August 2004 01:15 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
It would be neat to have a special unit that only the LFNK uses that shows up on the maps afterward the hookup, and then have a map before the betrayal with Kand using that unit, as a way of foreshadowing the betrayal. Scouts, maybe? Or a new unit entirely?
This could be a way to introduce the improved infantry we discussed a
while ago. Provided we manage to get it done some day. Scouts are too
basic a unit to ban up to this point in the campaign.

Also, at the betrayal there should be a division of LFNK as well, where some of LFNK decides to fight for freedom instead of selling out and stays with FNA. Really, FNA needs the additional troops, and this is a good way to provide them within the story, but I like what it adds to the story. ;) Maybe hide them in a neutral bunker? Ooo, can we have neutral bunkers that only one side can take? That way, that side *can* have reinforcements, and the other side can't steal them?
I don't know if it's wise to do that. You'd have to find a way to make it
obvious to both players that the depot is special and in what way. Sort of
a simple workaround would be to build the map so that one player can't get
any infantry there to take it.

Another thing that would be interesting, but I don't know if you really want to do it, would be to have some sort of loyalty factor where troops in the armies that oppose FNA might convert mid-battle to the FNA. It would be cool to have, but might make the story too intrusive to the game.
That shouldn't be a general feature of the game. As you said it might be
appropriate for this particular campaign (although probably not even in
all maps), but might look totally out of place under different
circumstances. If we want/need something like that it can be "scripted"
using events.

> Sorry, I have no idea what Sarph Rift is referring to. [...]

Pulled from your first post in response to the first round of the campaign story:

"I'd place Marcus' map around the end of act 2. The intel obtained from the
general could result in 1) aircraft and 2) a cunning plan to outflank the
corridor (for which the Sarph rift seems to be a natural choice).
Omyar Gorge is probably somewhere near the end of act 3, then."

I don't know which maps are which, right now, and I used this post as a guide to placing them in the story, trusting to your comment on them. ;)
Oh, I see. I wasn't talking about any specific map. I just proposed the
Sarph rift as a geographical feature that could be used to explain the
"fertile corridor". You know, the Sarph as (one of) the major stream(s) in
Kerlo providing water for irrigation, transportation etc.

Jens