Finding the SDL

Platform SuSE Linux Pro 9.1
Crimson Version 0.4.5

Yast says that I have 1.2.7 installed.  When I run ./configure, it bombs out
here....
checking for SDL - version >= 1.1.5... no
*** The sdl-config script installed by SDL could not be found
*** If SDL was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the SDL_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to sdl-config.
configure: error: *** SDL version 1.1.5 not found!

Do I need exactly 1.1.5?
locate sdl-config turns up nothing.  Do I need to compile SDL from source?

DT