Re: saved games of 0.4.3 and 0.4.5 incompatible?

This is completely agreeable. But when I load a game saved in 0.4.5 in
current CVS version, the game segfaults after resolving combat. I
don't know the cause but it doesn't crash when no combat takes place.

One of my saved games is at http://web.naex.sk/thefox/Revelation.sav.
gz , it's saved in the beginning of the turn. When ending a turn
immediately the AI comes into play, if you attack with a unit, game
crashes.

  Andrej

> We do try to keep saved games compatible between versions, and I'd
even
> claim we mostly succeed. However, some changes make it impossible or
at
> least unreasonably difficult to maintain this compatibility.
>
> For example, in version 0.4.4 we removed one of the existing event
types
> and replaced it by another, more powerful one. It was an event that
was
> used in every single map we are shipping so we couldn't just let it
slip
> and hope no one noticed. Another option would have been to keep the
old
> code around but in such a case clean code without any obsolete cruft
is
> much more important to me than keeping saved games compatible. CF
is,
> after all, still only at 0.4, so everyone should expect things to
break
> now and then. Or rather, you shouldn't expect it, but you shouldn't
be
> suprised when it happens, either.
>
> We don't break compatibility if there is no good reason, and I have
> sometimes held back incompatible changes for one or two revisions so
> that several of them could go in at once. But I'm not (yet) willing
> to declare the file format stable.
>
> I can tell you, though, that 0.4.5 remains compatible with 0.4.4
> (so far) ;-)
>
> Jens

RAMMSTEIN, 22.02.2005 o 20,00, Bratislava Incheba,
Info: 0904 666 363, http://www.xl.sk