Re: Networking (Re: Release Plans)

On 20.01.2005 00:14, Sascha Flohr wrote:
> Perhaps we have to take more effort to the map creation tool chain. It
> is beside the problems of the "creative process" of map creation perhaps
> too difficult for most users to create maps.
>
> Currently I do not have enough insight for map creation and its
> problems. Perhaps we should collect the opinions of current map creators
> what they think about the editor and the tools to create maps and what
> would be supportive to them.

That may be true. The biggest problem of CoMET is probably that it's
using home-grown widgets, too. There are enough for crimson, but for
CoMET, more sophisticated widgets would make a lot of things easier.

> I think the only glitch (perhaps only for me) is that the same strategy
> wins in both maps. Bind the computers units an then rush with the
> infanterists (supported by the transporter) to the target buildings.
>
> The third map should avoid that.

Considering that the FNA is trying to quickly assemble a larger force,
this really is intended. Later missions will rarely see that, I guess.

> > Speaking of 0.5.0, I don't yet know what could justify the jump. Two
> > completed campaigns probably would but I don't expect that to happen
>
> One complete campaign should be the first goal ... remember the
> tilesets :-)

Yeah, I was counting the tutorial as one of the campaigns. So, let's
say one _real_ campaign.

> I really started hacking on this problem. First results may be expected
> next week. Currently I have experimented with the network library for
> SDL. Any worries about adding this dependency to another lib beside base
> SDL and SDL_ttf? Using plain bsd sockets would be as easy as the lib,
> but not as portable.

I've got no problem with SDL_net. I'd like to keep it as an optional
dependency, though, so people who don't want networking can still
build it.

> BTW ... what development environment are you using?

vi, mostly ;)
I tried a few others, but didn't like them enough to switch.

> My preferred environment is surely Eclipse since my main programmming
> plays the Java game. But I also like the latest milestone build of the
> Eclipse CDT. Integrates very well with Linux and gcc.

I'm using Eclipse for Java at work, too. Never tried CDT, though.

> Sidenote: Eclipse has a very nice analysing system (the C/C++ Indexer)
> that gives many hints to code. It mentions a few glitches in the current
> code, for example with the macros in "hexsup.h" used in "ai.cpp".
[...]
> I would prefer to dismiss the usage of macros completely. That's
> C-coding not C++ :-) All the uses of macros could be replaced by methods
> (inline if necessary) and constants. The have the benefit of type
> savety.

No problem with that.

Jens