Re: Tutorial campaign

> The manual mentions hex, field, and square, so you should use any of
> those.

For me hex == hexagon so I won't change it just because of changing. I
don't like to repeat myself often because when I repeat myself often,
the reader may notice that I repeat myself often and the reader won't
like that I repeat myself often. So I usually use hex in one sentence,
hexagon in another and so on...

> > [suggesting false abilities to player]

> I actually think there are two issues. We really have to be careful
> not to imply stuff that isn't true. The first is that you can build
> shops (though that's probably the lesser problem and easily
explained
> in the shop(ping) tutorial), and the second is that infantrymen can
> clear roads of tank blockers. We should somehow mention that this is
> special to the tutorial.

I agree. I tried to express that it's not standard ability ("infantry
equipped with tools needed to unblock the road") but I will have to
stress it more when revising the instructions. (And also tell the
player that under normal circumstances he can't build depots.)

> > ["compiling" the .src]

> Yes. Put back the entrance tile and create a sethex event with a
> handicap trigger that fires on all handicap settings. It's still a
> hack, but oh well...

If I did it this way I would do it by timer trigger (at time 0) but
there's a "problem" that sethex is done too nicely -- the hex fades =>
the player can see it => he can notice that something is up. It would
be perhaps better to make cfed compile the map even when this occurs
(should produce a warning, though). When I'm able to create such map
with CoMET, cfed should have the same behaviour.

> For my taste, the introduction is still too long, and the player has
> to memorize too many things at once. I propose two means to counter
> this.
>
> 1) Split the intro message into two. You have at least one turn
until
> the tank can cross the bridge, so you can issue another message on
the
> second turn.

I will do this. Don't know when yet (I'm somehow running out of time).

> 2) I intend to add another event (that'll probably replace the
nextmap
> event) which allows you to adjust internal messages (e.g. the name
of
> the next map, but also the players' briefings). That way you can
always
> update the briefing screen with whatever task the player has to
> complete next.

This will be great event to have.

Andrej
RAMMSTEIN, 22.02.2005 o 20,00, Bratislava Incheba,
Info: 0904 666 363, http://www.xl.sk