Re: Terrain info

On 12.07.2005 12:13, Marko Skofljanec wrote:
> > * using the cursor image is probably not a good ide since it suggests
> >   it's clickable in some way
>
> The cursor is still there, but should be replaced with a red dot.

We use the dot for inaccessible terrain now.

> > * the connecting part looks a bit odd, but we may need a properly
> >   gifted person to fix that ;-)
>
> There's no need to extend the dialog.
>
> Attack and defence modifiers are shown next to the attack strengths and
> defence value.

That starts to look very crowded as sson as you come to long-ranged
units. Artillery will give you something like "25 (2-6) +10%"...
And since the modifiers are actually properties of the terrain, not
the unit, I think that's where they should be, anyway.

> > * the "terrain panel" only contains the "major" terrain types.
> >   What do we do if the unit is on different terrain?
>
> How many terrain types (classes) do exist?
> Do they differ in apperance or in attributes (movement cost) ?

Currently there are 13 terrain classes (could be up to 32), but that
number isn't important. The terrain class does not affect the numbers
(movement or combat) in any way, and tiles of the same class can
have hugely varying properties, so for this purpose it's best to
think of hundreds (possibly thousands) of entirely different terrain
types.

> > * one question this solution still doesn't answer is "Can this
> >   unit walk on that hex?" unless the hex is one of the major types
> >   or the unit is already standing on it.
>
> A simple way is to draw a red bar over the tile (=impassable).

You misunderstood me here. The question is: If I have a unit
selected and bring up the terrain info dialog, what does it show?
Suppose you have a tank and some infantry. You want to know
whether the infantry can cross the hex the tank occupies. How do
you do that? A right-click on the tank will get you the tank
stats. We could say if another unit is selected we display the
stats for that unit, but that'd be pretty ugly IMO.

Jens