Re: Language detection

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 17:09 +0100, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> Gnome doesn't use LANG and LC_* variables. Gnome uses ~/.dmrc file while KDE
> is supposed to but, at least in older versions, doesn't.

Yes, it does. It might use .dmrc to initialise the session, but all apps
honour the LC_* vars just fine.

> I don't really see
> how to do KDE language detection without doing KDE language detection, and
> don't see why wouldn't it be done.

The problem is there's about a gazillion different desktops out there,
and if each one does it differently we'll end up in a maze of twisty
little passages, all quite different, and none of them sufficiently
well-tested to actually work. Too many code paths (that you can't even
test properly at that) are hell. I don't want to go there.

Jens