Re: [f-cpu] RC5, F-CPU and srotl

'mojn,

Michael Riepe wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:38:56AM +0200, Yann Guidon wrote:
> [...]
> > >From my point of view, the dnet project is a specific part of the
> > application domain of F-CPU. Can i point that crypto is used in
> > communication (like in SSH) and storage (encrypted filesystems) ?
> > This means that if we find something interesting when examining dnet,
> > it can also enhance the performance of a normal computer that works
> > in a secured environment, such as an internet server. It is maybe
> > worth noting it and may explain why i don't focus exclusively on
> > RC5 cracking (though i know it's a good entry point and a "cool way"
> > to make others think about F-CPU).
>
> Crypto stuff may be "cool",
if you know the CCC guys, you will understand what i mean ;-)
they are the one who introduced to this field and if F-CPU holds its promises,
they will continue to help us.

> but something that fits into the L1 cache
> doesn't qualify as a real application, IMHO :)
i have read on comp.sys.super : "cache memory is for the people who
can't afford lots of fast main memory" ;-)

>  Besides that, many crypto
> algorithms can be done better (and faster) in dedicated hardware.
yup but they often do only 1 algo.

> What's a 64-bit CPU good for, compared to a 32-bit one? It's not
> necessarily faster,
it can be, as it treats wider data.

> but it can handle large working sets. Therefore
> I'd rather focus on scientific applications, databases and so on.
don't worry, this will follow naturally, but how many scientists do you
know around F-CPU ?...

> [...]
> > The case of dnet is looking different but i can't involve myself
> > in this now. The case of the SIMD shift has been proved and there
> > does not seem to be any difficulty in implementing it with F-CPU,
> > we simply disagree on a "small" implementation detail :-)
>
> Huh? No difficulty?
huh, i'll try to make my own shifter... whenever i can :-)

have a nice day, everybody

>  Michael "Tired" Riepe <Michael.Riepe@stud.uni-hannover.de>
WHYGEE