Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU SoC

Hi Kim, what a good surprise :-)

Le 2015-04-01 13:30, Kim Enkovaara a ÃcritÂ:
And the future looks like the switch fabric between the cores/chips is
a major competition area. There are already chips under work with
hunderds of cores which have cache coherent memory and very low
latencies inside the chip, and also possibility to connect multiple
chips together. And those cores usually have zero latency thread
switching so the parallelism is exploding. Of course I'm looking this
from networking side, but the designs also aim to other areas like
datacenters.
That's quite a "niche" market :-)
It's exciting but we're not there...
it's already a challenge to make a single CPU work :-D

So the current innovation is in the switch fabrick, memory
hierarchies, thread switch latencies etc. The core instruction set is
not that interesting. I would even say that ARM and x86 instruction
sets will kill all others quite quickly, it is already visible (PPC is
slowly dying, MIPS is not doing that well, FPGAs get ARM hard cores
and their soft cores become less important etc.).
"niche" CPU such as NPUs strive in their "niche" domain...
I've heard there are several "tile" CPUs out there.

The bus structure for that is critical and that is not simple thing to
solve. Many companies have poured a lot of money into this. Single
core is not interecting anymore even for very low end.
it depends to whom.

The name of the project says "freedom" explicitly, to me it comes
before performance.

 and there are tons of other
 blocks that need to orchestrate perfectly with the CPU in order to
achieve a usable performance out of the system. So would be great if we
 consider touching the SoC topic sooner than later.
I agree, so let's move on to the F-GPU implementation.
Or F-NPU
What misleading interpretation does this acronym have ?
F-GPU means "Fun Game Platform Unit" and it's NOT a GPU ;-)

as network processing is also quite hot topic ;)
how many degrees today ? :-D

And the interactions are pretty similar as GPU can also be used for network
acceleration.
Network processing of this scale is a very competitive market where
the F-CPU has no advantage... and it's not F-CPU's purpose.

--Kim
ps. still the same e-mail address, but not that involced in cpu
designs anymore, currently chief architect for terabit level routers
;)

FUN ! :-D

yg