Re: [f-cpu] Interim solution to prototype the core

Hi Yann,

On 04/10/2015 03:01 PM, whygee@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Sorry for the delay...

I just noticed this awesome new kit :
http://www.microsemi.com/products/fpga-soc/design-resources/dev-kits/smartfusion2/smartfusion2-starter-kit

This is pretty close to the kind of "guest modules" intended for the
 F-GPU system ! Ideally, a M2S050T is preferred because the M2S010T
has less gates and, more importantly, less internal RAM blocks (F-CPU
is very memory hungry !). The board contains only one LPDDR bus, the
M2S050T could use two to double the bandwidth but this problem is
already half solved. Using one is already complex enough ;-) When the
VHDL code works on the kit, someone might be able to design and build
a PCB with several BGA chips to provide much more memory and
bandwidth...

What do you guys think ?

Well, I'm not an expert on Actel toys, but this one seems nice (hehe,
it's hard to believe this words are coming from a Xilinx-guy :D). I just
have some practical questions:

1. Is this chip supported by a free version of the Actel tools?

2. Is there a Linux version of these tools?

3. Is it possible to instantiate and use the DDR controller with plain
Verilog/VHDL, without any proprietary stuff (code generators, encrypted
netlists, etc)?

4. Does it have something like DLL/PLL, in order to create all needed
internal clocks from the 12 MHz reference clock?

Regards,
Nikolay