Re: [f-cpu] Re: Floating-Point?

Hans Summers wrote:
> I've spent the last 7 years writing financial applications, and have NEVER
> seen or heard of BCD arithmetic being used. I always use 64-bit
> representation mostly because it is most standard. Yes, you will get
> rounding errors but you need a heck of a lot of calculations for the
> rounding errors in the 16'th decimal place to add up to anything of any
> significance.

I suspect most programs that do acounting and other stuff for small
financial applications ended up being written in languages that did not
support decimal format.Note many database style languages may calculate
in decimal character data. Not too long ago floating point was 32 bit math
still done in software on 386's. 64/80 bit math was not a
option back then. Ben.
PS. Any idea when you web page will be back on line ,Hans?
--
Standard Disclaimer : 97% speculation 2% bad grammar 1% facts.
"Pre-historic Cpu's" http://www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk