Re: [f-cpu] Simulator

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:25:15AM +0100, Yann Guidon wrote:
> nicO wrote:
> > Is there an url about the fcpu simulator ?
> i don't remember where there is one.
> some attemps have been done in the past but
> nothing successfull.

I started to write an emulator as a counterpart to my F-CPU assembler
(for testing, porting and so on), but I was interrupted somehow and
found myself coding in VHDL again ;)

> btw, my current direction is to simply use
> the VHDL simulations, so we can have a cycle-acurate
> performance analysis without any code duplication
> (at the cost of performance but we don't aim
> real-time simulations yet). Our VHDL tools are
> flexible enough for this task, and C simulators
> can become overly complex and miss some HW-related
> problems (like, hmm, you write "+" and it ends up
> eating 2 cycles for nothing, or stuff like that).

That's the other side of the medal.  IMHO, we need both a cycle-accurate
simulator and an instruction-level emulator.  The former will be used
for studying, debugging and improving the design, the latter supports
early software development, and it probably also helps cleaning up the
instruction set, clarifying open ends and so on.