Re[4]: [f-cpu] "Tree"

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 nicolas.boulay@ifrance.com wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, nicO wrote:
> > Juergen Goeritz a écrit :
> > > Did you ever program drivers, operating systems and
> > > really big programs in C?
> >
> > No but somebody else do it (linux, gnome). So what
> > is the point ?
>
> Oh! Then it's hard to explain. Let me say it this
> way, the abstraction level is too low.

> are a quite bad design OO language but if you
> restrict your self to a sub set of it it could be
> great.
> SystemC are c++ class to rease the level of
> abstraction because it's runnable you must be enought
> precise.
> Which kind of concept do you want to be implemented
> in such language ? (my last year at university was
> made inside a laboratorie which try to design such
> kind of language, and todays SystemC are very close
> to what was espected)

The problem is that with C you have an implementation
already. This means you have already translated from
the concept you had in mind. You strip information
about your design when you translate it to C and you
add 'noise'.

A good language would resemble the way of thinking of
mans brain regarding digital design. Therefore C isn't
a good language. Some problem solutions can be easily
formed with C, others are hard to implement. Most of
them are hard to check (time consuming) for correctness.

Simulation is a means to look at the same issue from
another point of view - you go to the outside of your
design and look how it reacts. Testvectors that are
defined also describe the design functionality. If you
have a 100% testvector coverage you wouldn't need the
source of the design any more - the testvectors would
do because they also completely define your design from
it's reactions. And they have to because you need them
to check the final chip.

It's like a double bookkeeping.

JG