Re: [f-cpu] HDL coding rules

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:32:35AM +0200, Just an Illusion wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After a private disussion between different member of the f-cpu list, we
> have arrive to conclude than no coding rules exist on the project.
> This point seems not very important as long as the number of coder is
> small, but to help newbies or modification of existing block, the coding
> rule usage is better.
> The existance of coding rule, can be help to understand the code of a
> bloc and the hierarchical structure.
>
> We made some proposal :
>       * hierarchical prefix on each signal (and interface pad) to give
> hierarchical belonging
>       * postfix on each signal to give signal direction or polarity,
> like _i (input), _o(output), _s(internal signal), _n(not signal)...
>       * file name rule

That's pure bureaucracy, and it won't help at all.

I've seen (and written) a lot of code in my life, and I know that names
don't make it more readable. Structure is more important, as well as
proper indentation (some code I've seen really sucks with respect to
that). Whitespace makes a program readable (unless you overdose it),
and once it is readable, one should be able to understand it (assuming
that one knows the language it's written in).