[f-cpu] More broth in the Alphabet Soup

Michael Riepe wrote:

> > Just a note about multiple pointers : a register can contain
> > ONLY ONE pointer, otherwise how would we handle jumps and load/stores ?
>
> Yep.
>
> > another note :
> > a scatter/gather instruction would be ideally performed using a "base"
> > pointer (checked the usual way) and a SIMD "offset", so every SIMD offset
> > chunk is parallelly checked against the maximum allowed offset (size of page
> > in TLB ?) and the TLB doens't need as many ports as there are chunks...
>
> Sounds good. Especially if we require the base pointer to be page
> aligned :)

What about dumb things like video displays that have multiple byte
sizes?
Here your gather would need to be for bytes,words,and longs on a long
boundry.
Also what about list languages that often use the upper bits of a
address
for garbage colection and pointer types?

--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *
www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html