Re: [f-cpu] Status quo

On 3/28/2015 3:07 AM, whygee@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

it would impact
  - complexity
  - testing/verification
  - software
  - latency prediction of the logic
     (BCD has a different carry propagation than plain binary)

Try Excess 3.

Furthermore, you names IBM, as "real" computer. What line/family ?
Those that have explicit BCD support are designed for legacy execution
of COBOL.
If you want to make financial computing, it's your right...

Funny that still sells BIG COMPUTERS.
I was thinking large scientific computing using *large* numbers.

But F-CPU, 15 years ago, was designed for different purposes and
was inspired by some Y2K era architectures, such as DEC's Alpha.
I would like to resume development of the FC0 one day, even streamline
it a bit because its complexity prevented us from completing it.
I probably should rename it, so people understand that it's
not the F-CPU as it was in 1999. I made organisational mistakes then,
and I try to avoid them for the 2015 "reboot".

Streamlining is fine, but regardless cache memory not raw gate speed
is the limiting factor today.

YG