[f-cpu] about the server(s)

hello,

* the MP670 is not going to be working before ... some time.
if it even works. but Lionel and me are doing our best. help is welcome.

* Lionel told me that there would be a new SUN BLADE with more
power and RAM, in the future, somewhere around 15000 or 20000FF
(something like $3000). It is probably enough horsepower and we
can probably gather all the money. The REAL problem is :
holly shit, there is no Free Hardware Fundation to help us.
i don't want to spend the rest of my life managing this stuff.
Volunteers and help are welcome, as usually.

* Remember, i had bought a laptop when i was at META SYSTEMS.
is is badly configured (PCMCIA is buggy), there are other
problems, but it's a PIII Celeron with 160MB of RAM.
Although the HDD can't draw more than 10 or 11 MB/s
in bursts (swapping processes will be rather slow),
i can dedicate it to the project. I simply require
a dedicated PCMCIA card. The good news is that it has
an integrated UPS that can work during 2 hours and
it doesn't take much room or generate noise or heat :-)
Maybe i can install it at Paul Mota's home, if i could
configure everything cleanly (Please help me, Lionel,
you promised me ;-P)

* What would be cool : someone finds a PC that could be
used as a firewall for the server. In the case of the
laptop, the connexion could be throup PLIP because
i have only 1 PCMCIA slot and this slot could
be used for something else, i think about an external
large SCSI or IDE drive because the internal IDE drive
is rather small (5GB) and is preferably used for swapping.

* The first functions of the server will be to :
 * do crontab stuff
 * host individual accounts for the contributors.
    ftp will be used first, then SSH.
 * provide a working, living CVS base on which we could
    develop things. the other CVS at gaos and seul will
    still be used as backup
 * run regression tests and compatibility checks with the
    tools that we can access. every week or when needed,
    a batch will be run (crontab) and all the files in the
    CVS will be executed or compiled, to verify that nothing
    is broken (syntax error, incompatibility with one tool etc).
It is not a web or mail server.

* I got a phone call from Martyn (Cadence) and we started
to discuss about that. There are a lot of problems (legal, NDA etc.)
but if we can show that the server described above runs correctly
(security issues, misuse/abuse ...) Martyn could help us (maybe).
All the things about RTL synthesis or online debugging will not
come before we can give garanties.

* this server story is driving me nuts. i'd like to code something
instead of organising almost everything (and i'm not even paid :-P).
1 year ago, i bought a few RC plane kits and they are not even built :-(

WHYGEE