Re: [f-cpu] Re: Project short description

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:10:27AM +0200, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
[...]
> Long story... To make it short some headlines only -
> new architecture for cluster computing - want to go for
> EU or german funding for this project - performant user
> processor still to be decided on (may be either a LEON
> extended to 64bit or F-CPU or other 64bit architecture
> that can be used for embedded) - system on chip design
> already specified - team to be built for realization -
> drawback: new architecture is not built as open source...

If you make a SoC that includes an F-CPU core, the source code for the
entire chip must be released under the terms of the GPL because it's a
derived work.  If you can live with that restriction...

> I like f-cpu because it is extendable to higher bitwidth
> later on and seems to be designed for low gate count.

*giggle* didn't you see the multiplier?

> So what's the basic feeling of you people involved in
> f-cpu design and simulation to include f-cpu into a
> system? I am interested in your views very much.

Do you want only the design for your project, or the design team as well?

You can do with the design whatever you like, as long as you follow
the rules.  But isn't it a bit too early?  We're still in the first of
many implementation phases, and we can give no guarantees that the F-CPU
will be finished some day, that it will perform well, or work at all.
If you rely on that, your project may fail.

CU,