Re: [f-cpu] License issues GPL/LGPL and Juergen Goeritz' SoC

hi,

Michael Riepe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:18:25AM +0200, Yann Guidon wrote:
> [...]
> > The summit is reached with the new
> > "desktop managers" (KDE, GNOME etc) which are extremely complex,
> > and can't cooperate EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE FREE !
> I love standards -- there are so many of them to choose from ;(
i don't think so (at least, at our level).

> I'm afraid that we may get an `interface explosion' when users start to
> populate the area around the F-CPU core with their own stuff.  In order
> to prevent that, we should provide a fixed, well-documented `general
> interface' and encourage people to connect to it instead of patching
> the core.
yup. This means : finding the I/O standard that is most similar to the F-CPU.
i know none today.

> > There is a small danger with the wishbone stuff. It is public domain,
> > not an IEEE or ANSI standard (AFAIK). I don't believe that the
> > performance is extraordinary. It's ok if you want to communicate
> > with mid-speed I/O or do some IC2IC intercom, but F-CPU needs
> > some strong doses of EPO+amphetamines, if you see what i mean.
> Just because something is PD (or GPLed), it doesn't have to perform
> badly ;)
sure, but when you design something, you certainly have something in mind
and that influences the rest. wishbone was not designed with the same goals
as the Athlon FSB you describe below.

> > My current view for a "decent" F-CPU chip is :
> > - SDRAM (DDR/whatever) direct interface with the core
> > - onchip L1 cache (low latency)
> > - onchip L2 with very wide words, such as suggested by nicO, ie with DRAM,
> >   so we can do very wide SIMD computations
> Only useful if we can bypass the L1 cache.  Otherwise, we'll get lots
> of misses there.  What about a bigger L1 cache instead?  HP did that in
> the PA-8500.
i don't think that we can "afford" it. the clock cycle is too short.
and after all, that's what cache hierarchies are for :-)
L1 "bypassing" is done with one flag in the L/S instructions btw.

> > - some kind of relatively fast interface to the outside, possibly
> >   with rather wide words (64-bit or 128-bit at a time) if it is on-chip.
> I like the FSB of the MP-Athlon... it's a fast point-to-point link
> (200/266 MHz, using DDR), 64-bit wide with separate, unidirectional
> control buses.  It somehow reminds me of the F-BUS ;)
really cool, but is it free ?...

>  Michael "Tired" Riepe <Michael.Riepe@stud.uni-hannover.de>
WHYGEE