Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:01:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Be Blackburn <be@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
To: cis-seminars@theory.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Disting. Lecturer - Ross Anderson

1999-2000 LCS Distinguished Lecture Series

Thursday, May 11th at 3:30 in 34-101, 50 Vassar Street

Security Engineering

Professor Ross Anderson
Cambridge University Computer Laboratory

As the world becomes populated with intelligent devices, or `things
that think', they will rapidly become things that talk, then things
that argue, and then things that deceive. Embedded intelligence is
making everyday objects non-deterministic, and ubiquitous networking
will make them even worse. As well as all the stuff that goes wrong
accidentally, we will have to cope with the effects of malice. The
problems we wrestle with today - from the collection of ever larger
quantities of personal information through the development of ever
nastier service denial attacks to the growing budgets for
`information warfare' - are only the beginning.

Technology could turn the world into a digital jungle, every bit as
unpredictable and threatening as the environment with which our
ancestors contended before the end of the last ice age.  Inventions
such as cryptography, computer access controls and firewalls have
given us the digital equivalent of fire, stone axes and palisades.
Much of the security research community is busy improving these tools
- - `bronze instead of flint'. That's extremely important, but it's not
enough.

The realistic medium-term goal of security engineering is to let you
hack out clearings in the jungle where things are broadly
predictable, at least for most of the time. The wild beasts must be
kept at a distance, the crops must have room to grow and the rain
mustn't fall on your bed. To do this, new kinds of tool could be
helpful, and we also need to figure out what to try to do with our
existing tools. In this talk, I will describe some of the steps we
have been taking in this direction in Cambridge, England.

THURSDAY, May 11, 2000
Building 34,  Room 101
50 Vassar St
Cambridge, MA
Refreshments: 3:15 pm
Lecture:      3:30 pm

For more information contact: 617-253-0145
http://www.lcs.mit.edu/events/dls.html

Allegra Valberg
Director's Office
Lab for Computer Science