gEDA-user: geda & guile installation failure

My installation crashes and I would appreciate any help you could provide...

I installed all the tarballs in the $HOME/geda directory. The ./configure
script in the libgeda directory fails because it says it can't find Guile.
Guile 1.4 directory is also located in $HOME/geda. I've identified the
statement in the config.h file where the error is flagged. Is there
something special I need to do to make Guile visible to ./configure? I've
updated my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH environment variables per instructions.
Do I need to put Guile in my library path?

Thanks in advance,

Scott Moberly