Re: gEDA-user: Trouble with debian install

Ales, John

Thanks both for your responses. I have edited ld.so.conf to add /usr/local/lib, run ldconfig and bingo! I have gschem. Now I must tear myself away and start some day-job work (groan).

I'm afraid I'm not fast, John. Being the wrong side of my half-century (but not by too much) I have to substitute persistence. I've been fiddling with various flavours of Linux for a while, but never really had a mission behind it until I stumbled across geda - now I can get back into cirsuit design and building (hobby now, used to be work) but with beautifully-drawn circuits (no more scribbles in my log-book!) use SMT components (which is how all the nice functions are happening these days) and built on PCBs. I'll read up on how to contribute components to the library as I'll have to create a bunch

Xandros is the successor to the Corel distribution. It has the advantage that it is nicely tailored for beginners like me (good hardware detection, and many bits which ease the transition from that other OS - like a familiar-looking file manager), and the disadvantage that so you have to be careful with apt-type upgrades from testing or unstable as these can break what you have eg Upgrading to KDE3 is a no-no, as is anything that uses libc6-<latest version>: if you install this then other things will stop working. It suits me (certainly for now) until I have the confidence to move to "pure" debian. I'd be happy to discuss further - I guess direct email is the appropriate way rather than in this forum

Thanks and regards

Chris Bryant