gEDA-user: gSCHEM build problem - PKG_CONFIG_PATH (again)

Hello - I see this problem has come up before on this list, but I still can't build libgeda. I tried setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, to no avail...

[root@PaulsLinux libgeda-20040111]# pwd
/permA/gEDA/libgeda-20040111
[root@PaulsLinux libgeda-20040111]# echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

----- So that looks right -----
----- just to make sure -----

[root@PaulsLinux libgeda-20040111]# locate libgdgeda.pc
/permA/gEDA/libgdgeda-2.0.15/config/libgdgeda.pc.in
/permA/gEDA/libgdgeda-2.0.15/config/libgdgeda.pc
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libgdgeda.pc

----- So we DO know where it is... -----

Still in the directory where I've got libgeda, now try to run configure...

[root@PaulsLinux libgeda-20040111]# ./configure
Configuring libgeda version 20040111
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for rint in -lm... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for libgdgeda-config... /usr/local/bin/libgdgeda-config
checking for libgdgeda >= 2.0.15... Package libgdgeda was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgdgeda.pc'
No package 'libgdgeda' found

configure: error: Library requirements (libgdgeda >= 2.0.15) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

----- Hmmm. So I found a suggestion by Ales -----

[root@PaulsLinux libgeda-20040111]# pkg-config libgdgeda --cflags --libs

----- Just to make sure again -----

[root@PaulsLinux libgeda-20040111]# echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

I'm stumped! Anybody know how to solve this? much thanks, paul

--
Paul Anderson
Senior Engineer