gEDA-user: GEN_QFP and SOICs

Hello Folks,

I'm attempting to design a PCB using several SOICs (PIC, optical sensor,
and the like). I've created the symbols for gschem, and given them the
footprint attributes with GEN_QFP and the appropriate parameters, as
described by qfp_ui.  The problem, here, is that when I attempt to use
gsch2pcb, I just get horrendous errors on these items.  Does anyone have
any thoughts?

One of the footprint attributes I'm using (defined in the tragesym step)
is:

GEN_QFP 8000 50 17 1 0 18 436 610

I am using the version of gEDA that ships with debian/unstable.

If someone could point me to appropriate documentation on how to
generate the SOIC packages, (for PCB) or point out what I'm doing wrong,
I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Hans
--