Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

Hi --

> On Saturday 02 April 2005 20:25, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> >sys_lib_search_path_spec
>
> This was enough of a clue that I was able to see that it
> was using the .la file in /usr/local/lib, which did indeed
> point it at the defunct directory.  So I grabbed the one
> out of /root/kde3.3/lib and over wrote it as that one
> correctly points to the correct location in /root/kdce3.3/lib.
>
> Sidebar here:  Would it not make more sense to open
> ldconfig.cache and see where it is?  In a properly maintained
> system, it knows where everything is.

The installer is dumb.  It just invokes the GNU build toolchain, and
then sits back and watches.   Your problem had to do with the way
libtool decided which directories to search.

I have added an item "fix way libtool is invoked to use system's lib
search path intead of its own" to the "ToDos" list on the CD.

As for ldconfig.cache, my Fedora machine uses a file
"/etc/ld.so.conf".  Does yours use ldconfig.cache?  Which one is Linux
standard?  If neither is standard, then I can't necessarily use it for
the install wizard without jumping through hoops.  I need to look at
this; I believe the devil is in the details here. . . . .

For the next spin of the CD I plan to expand the number of apps
available for installation.  Moreover, I plan to allow the user to
select which apps he wants from a checklist at the beginning of the
installation.  This necessitates that I substantially re-write the
installer.  When I do that I can also fix the libtool problem.  To do
so, however, requires that I spend some quality time figuring out how
to best tell libtool what to do.

> Silly (probably) Q:  Is there an html build something step by step
> tutorial buried in this someplace that would give a rank beginner
> at EDA a helping hand?  I can read chip docs, and wirewrap fairly
> complex stuff which worked when I got done but that was 20 years
> back down in the pile of old calendars too, so I need a helping
> hand at 'larnin the lingo'.  Is there such a thing as a good starter
> book available at Borders or such that covers enough of this to be
> usefull?

To my knowledge, there is none.  I am working on some stuff, but going
is slow because I have other priorities right now.  Attention
professors:  the world needs a textbook about how to use EDA tools in a
modern design flow!  As for "The Art of Electronics", it is a
wonderful book, but it's about circuits; it doesn't really talk about
EDA-based design flows.  (At least versions 1 & 2, which I am familiar
with.  Is there a version 3 or beyond yet?)

Stuart